Thursday, October 30, 2008

3 Things I'm Excited About

1. Tomorrow is the release of Kevin Smith's new movie "Zack and Miri Make a Porno", so I'm hopeful I'll drag my sorry ass out of the apartment this weekend to see that. This interview in the local weekly reminded me about this flick, which I had totally forgotten about: http://www.citypaper.com/film/story.asp?id=16942

2. They Might Be Giants are playing a special engagement with a regular show followed by a performance of the entire album Flood, at the 9:30 Club in Washington DC on November 28th. I'm so there. http://theymightbegiants.com

3. Just announced unofficially (and officially tomorrow perhaps) is that MTV Games has secured the rights to make a special Beatles edition of Rock Band. Holy cow! Words are failing me, but how frakkin' awesome will this be? Article: http://hollywoodinsider.ew.com/2008/10/rock-band-beatl.html?cnn=yes Also be on the lookout for new Hendrix and Raconteurs DLC (downloadable content) for Guitar Hero World Tour (PS3 and Xbox 360). My fingers are crossed for Wii versions also. http://www.gamespot.com/news/show_blog_entry.php?topic_id=26651794


Honorable Mention: The New Years Day parade in Philadelphia, featuring.... MUMMERS! WTF is a mummer you might ask?


THAT is a mummer.

Best I can tell, they are like fraternal organizations (Elks Club, Shriners, etc) that spend time throughout the year making these huge elaborate costumes, and on New Years Day they do a parade through the streets of Philly. Also some of them play instruments (ala Marching Band) while they do their parade route. There's a great video near the top of the page at http://mummers.com (you can right click and download it for faster viewing) if you want to know more. I've wanted to see this parade ever since I discovered it a few years back, but so far haven't been able to make it. Maybe this year, but I still need to see if I can work it in yet.


Okay so that's a rundown of the things I'm looking forward to. How about you? Drop me a comment.

2 comments:

Suicidal said...

the Mummers are odd people.... weird stuff. Try and find a vid clip of Oprah at the parade... I remember seeing that a few years back.

Freedom35 said...

Wow are you sure man? I went like 6-7 pages deep on a google search and I got nothin'. Oh well, as a Philly ex-pat I guess I have to give you benefit of the doubt. Ska'doosh