Wednesday, January 7, 2009

20 hours later, still going .....sigh



Well 40% in 20 hours,... so in 30 hours should be done converting to RAID 5. The upside is that the drive array is still working quite nicely and I'm proceeding to move the data from the last un-raided drive onto the still-building-array, and then will wipe that drive and add it to the array to expand it to 3TB. That is my goal,... My Computer having a 2.7TB drive showing up in it.

Earlier today I thought my chances of having the single 3TB drive in windows were shot. From what I've soaked in from my crash course in types of hard drive partitioning, the default system for doing partitions in called MBR. I guarantee that 100% of you are using MBR on your hard drives. Which is the default and works wonderfuly. Unless you want to make a 3TB disk. MBR has a hard limit of 2TB per disk, and I started to worry a bit and began to feel e-peen shrinkage. I won't be able to say I have a 3TB drive? How will my street cred ever recover? I made the array last night, and today at work semi-remembered the option page for the partition and how I think I had picked MBR. Luckily I got home and checked and I had picked the alternative (it wears flannel) partitioning system called GPT. Which has limit in Windows of 256TB per drive. So this new system should last for awhile at least.

So yeah 30 hours from now will be 3AM-ish on Friday morning. So this weekend will be addition of the last drive and the expansion on the array. I am hopefull that the expansion of the array which take less time than the conversion to RAID5. We'll see,... together.... you and I,.... on our own journey,... with partition limitation monsters,.... and ever pending doom in the form of losing all my data,....

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

Otherwise thanks to everyone for the birthday wishes on monday, I had a pretty good day. Had allyoucaneat ribs at Tony Romas by my apartment, then went that night to my good friend Fabrice's house. Had pastries with him and his wife, chatted and comprehensively had a terrific time. Looking forward to the next time we hang out. Started reading a big-ass Mark Twain book entitled The Innocents Abroad. A witty travelougle of Mr Clemens' trip to Europe and the Holy Lands taken only 2 years after the end of the Civil War. Just starting it, but so far its good stuff.

Catch yas later,
F35

No comments: